A furnace leaking carbon monoxide can kill. About 170 people die in the United States each year because of appliance-based carbon monoxide, and many of these could have been prevented with simple furnace repair. We can help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with up-to-date inspections.
Carbon monoxide (CO) tends to cause flu-like symptoms. This is unfortunate because you’re using the furnace at the same time of year as most people have the flu, so it’s not easy to pick up on the fact that you might be experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning. It can be hard to tell if you have carbon monoxide in your home (even if you have a CO detector), so it’s always good to invest in a little furnace repair or maintenance every year.
Here are some facts you need to know.
Carbon Monoxide Doesn’t Smell: Natural gas smells of rotten eggs because of an added chemical called mercaptan. It’s added for only one purpose…so that people can tell if there’s a gas leak. Natural gas smells, so you might think you’re safe if you don’t smell anything. That’s not the case, though. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and no longer contains the mercaptan, and if something is wrong with your heater or proper ventilation is restricted, it can leak into your home without you smelling anything. Its so easy to Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, you just need to be prepared.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors Don’t Always Have To Tell You There’s CO!: CO is measured in parts per million (PPM). You get into the danger zone when it reaches 400 PPM, but CO detectors detecting 70 PPM aren’t legally required to go off for up to 4 hours at that level! Under that level and they’re not required to go off at all. Our sensitive equipment can tell you not only accurate levels can also pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from.
It’s Out For Blood: Carbon monoxide is dangerous because it attaches to the hemoglobin in your blood, taking up the space where oxygen should be. If your cells aren’t getting oxygen, you can die.
Are we here to scare you? Well, you should be a little scared of carbon monoxide! First, make sure you home has enough carbon monoxide detectors. And if your family is experiencing flu-like symptom that just aren’t going away, consider calling us for some heating repair. We’re there to protect Flint, Fenton, Lapeer, Saginaw, and Davison and all surrounding areas from this odorless killer. Help us Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning