There’s a lot you can do as a homeowner to save money on your utility bill this winter. When the bitter cold strikes in Michigan, it’s a smart idea to get into a money-saving routine when it comes to setting your thermostat.
Here are a few tips to help save you money this winter with your thermostat.
- This first tip can help you save 5-10 percent on your heating bill. Simply turning down your heat 5-10 degrees when you go to bed at night can save you money. When you wake up in the morning, increase the temperature on the thermostat and start your day!
- Turning your heat down while you’re at work during the day can also save you major money. The Department of Energy states that: “You can save as much as 10% a year on heating and cooling by simply turning your thermostat back 7°-10°F for 8 hours a day from its normal setting.” To see the Department of Energy’s tips click here.
- If you’ll be gone for over a few days (For example, over a weekend) lower your thermostat to 55 degrees. This will help save on your heating bill and you don’t have to worry about your pipes freezing or bursting.
- Did you know that lowering the temperature inside your home can also help save money when it comes to your appliances? Lowering the temperature can save money on how often your refrigerator and freezer need to run. These appliances won’t need to work as hard to cool down.
- A programmable thermostat can automatically turn the heat up and down for you based on your daily routine. A programmable thermostat can turn down the heat for you while you’re away during the day and turn it back up when you arrive home. It’s simple and it saves you money!
Our programmable thermostats are easy to use and effective! Give us a call to learn more about our thermostat options and how they can save you money all year long.