Did you know that plants can improve the quality of the air inside your home?
Indoor air pollutants have ranked in the top five for environmental health risks. These health risks include: headaches, dizziness, nausea, and eye, ear, and nose irritation. Stagnant indoor air allows for pollutants to build up and cause these health risks.
Indoor air quality is important, especially when people spend an average of 90% of their time indoors. Luckily, there is an easy and natural way to fight indoor air pollutants.
The answer is: indoor air purifying plants!
- Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera is very easy to take care of! This plant removes formaldehyde from the air. Besides cleaning the air, it can also help with skin conditions and wound healing. The leaves’ liquid are full of vitamins, enzymes, and amino acids.
- Mums are inexpensive plants that can be found at any garden stores. They remove ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde, and xylene from your home’s indoor air. NASA also called this plant the “air-purifying champion.”
3. Spider Plant
- Spider Plants are another house plant that are extremely easy to grow! This plant prefers bright indirect sunlight to grow. The air pollutants that a Spider Plant rids the air of is formaldehyde and xylene. Whats also cool about this plant is that it grows flowers that grow into baby spider plants that you can give to your family and friends!
- Dracaena is easy to find, and there are over 40 different kinds of Dracaena! Dracaena removes benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, and xylene from the air. If you have pets, you may want to select a different indoor air purifying plant. Dracaena is toxic to cats and dogs
5. Peace Lilly
- Peace Lilly’s are small plants, but they have major indoor air purifying ability! The pollutants they remove are ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene. They grow best in shady areas and they flower in the summer. The one drawback to this house plant is that it will contribute some pollen to the air, so you don’t want to have a Peace Lilly in every room of your home.
These plants are easy to care for and clean the air inside of your home. With cleaner air, you and your family will feel better!
If you have any questions about the air quality inside your home call Holland Heating and Cooling at 810-653-4328!